Vel'Koz AMA Summary
Since the AMA is essentially a scrolling frenzy, here are some TL;DR-style bullet points:
- The work on Vel'Koz started about a year ago with a concept art done by Larry Ray ("TheBravoRay")
- Vel'Koz received a movement speed boost due to the lack of mobility skills and realiable CC
- The Demacian Soldien in Vel'Koz's trailer is not Kassadin, but just a "super dead guy"
- His "R was intentionally given a low-ish AP ratio and high base so that it felt impactful to Vel'Koz and the enemy in any situation which it was used effectively"
- His voice has different processing for his Battlecast skin
- Vel'Koz probably won't get along or ally with any champion - "he probably doesn't even get along with the other void creatures due to not being obsessed with eating"
- A lot of Battlecast Vel'Koz's sound design was inspired by the sentinels from The Matrix: Revolutions
- There are ideas in Vel'Koz's development that were inspired by Shuma Gorath
- "A void character of another role isn't out of the question"
- Until about 2 months ago, Vel'Koz's Passive would stack to full, and then would CONTINUALLY deal bonus true damage until you stopped casting spells
- It was "a little disheartening" to the devs to see that Vel'Koz was leaked, "but the response was positive and that made it a little less painful. It was super cool reading all of the speculation."
- RiotOpeli: Vel'Koz himself is not a watcher, but I don't think it's crazy to think that a rift may have opened in the Freljord a long time ago.
- "Actually at one point Vel'Koz was named "The keeper of secrets" So kos was thrown around during his development. So later we drop the "s" put in the a "z" and named him other Void champs, Vel'koz."
- The voice actor for Vel'Koz is Eric Braa