DiffTheEnder here and bringing you something special today.
I have decided to embark on an ambitious project and would love your support on this.
Introducing The Item Tier List
What is the Item Tier List?
This will be a Tier List that provides a rough guide on the strength of items based on various criteria. I will be ranking them based on strength within the category, cost efficiency, build path and viability.
So I want to clear a few things up first of all.
You might be thinking - "Oh god, not another tier list!" - and you'd be right.
I want to tell you right now - that this will have the same strengths and flaws of other tier lists.
- It provides a very rough guide of the strength of items based on cost efficiency values and based on the current way the game is played.
- It gives you a basis to work off for building your champions.
- It helps newer players understand what are generally good items.
- Unlike other tier lists - I can base some of the placements based on actual math/numbers.
- It's fun to have a tier list to read and ponder things about :)
- It does not take into account every in-game situation
- It is impossible to be 100% correct - mistakes will be made and reiterations will slowly work on attaining an accurate representation
- It will be biased by my opinion without doubt. No matter how impartial I may try to be, my bias will get through in a little way.
You might also be thinking - "What makes your tier list special, Diff? Why should I even take your opinion into account? I know how to build champs already!" - and in answer to you I'd say that nothing makes it special. Not one player in this game has the right to say - their tier list is special - because at the end of the day, it's effectively an opinion of one player and what decides the tier list's value is how much you trust the player's judgement.
One thing I'd kindly like to request. DO NOT take this tier list to be be-all end-all or think I'm trying to force my opinion on you. Make of it what you will. Read it and ponder or ignore it and not let it affect your play. It's a resource of sorts. Up to you whether you would like to use it.
With all the disclaimers aside, let's see how I'll be structuring this.
The Structure of the List
Similar to champions - items serve different purposes albeit on a much more varied scale.
So in accordance with this - I've decided to split the list up into five categories.
They will be:
Offensive Magical - This is for dealing increased magical damage or helping your team deal increased magic damage. It is not rated purely on damage and other effects of the item will be considered.
Defensive Magical - This is for negating magical damage or helping your team negate magic damage. It is not rated purely on the durability it gives you and other effects of the item will be considered.
Offensive Physical - This is for dealing increased physical damage or helping your team deal increased physical damage. It is not rated purely on damage and other effects of the item will be considered.
Defensive Physical - This is for negating physical damage or helping your team negate physical damage. It is not rated purely on the durability it gives you and other effects of the item will be considered.
Utility and Support - This is for items that help your team and generally contain items that do not excel in any one category but help you do things that items in the above tiers don't.
I will only be including items that have no upgrades not including consumables for now (might work on them later). Ie. I won't include Fiendish Codex or Amplifying Tome - they can be upgraded into other items.
You'll understand the categories better once you've seen the list itself.
So on with the list.
The Item Tier List
Tier 1 - Rabadon's Deathcap, Void Staff, Deathfire Grasp, Lich Bane, Zhonya's Hourglass, Abyssal Scepter, Rod of Ages, Will of the Ancients.
Tier 2 - Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Haunting Guise, Archangel's Staff, Hextech Gunblade, Morello's Evil Tome.
Tier 3 - Guinsoo's Rageblade, Malady, Wit's End, Moonflair Spellblade, Nashor's Tooth, Mejai's Soulstealer, Ionic Spark, Trinity Force.
- Deathcap is the highest since it helps scale every other item a mage would be likely to buy and is also the single highest AP item in the game.
- While items like Zhonya's and Abyssal might not give the highest damage output - they are rated highly due to the durability they give you while giving you hefty damage.
- The above applies for other items like Rylai's as well - where the slow proc is valued.
- The rest is mainly due to the viability of building items like that on a mage.
Tier 1 - Mercury's Treads, Warmog's Armor, Banshee's Veil, Force of Nature, Guardian Angel, Quicksilver Sash.
Tier 2 - Maw of Malmortius, Abyssal Scepter, Wit's End, Aegis of the Legion, Spirit Visage, Chalice of Harmony.
Tier 3 - Lich Bane, Leviathan.
- Mercury's Treads is the highest not because it's the one that gives you the most durability, but because it gives you CC reduction as well as being versatile enough to be built on any champion.
- Warmog's is higher than Banshee's Veil because while Banshee's may block an important spell - it also may not. Warmog's provides you with enough HP to take a mage's full burst with HP to spare.
- Maw of Malmortius, Abyssal Scepter may not give the highest resistances either - however they aid greatly damage wise.
- Aegis of the Legion is not the greatest item for resistance for YOURSELF. It helps the team a lot - it's rated highly in the Utility/Support category.
Tier 1 - Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, The Bloodthirster, Maw of Malmortius, Atma's Impaler.
Tier 2 - Trinity Force, The Black Cleaver, Wriggle's Lantern, Frozen Mallet, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Madred's Bloodrazor.
Tier 3 - Hextech Gunblade, Executioner's Calling, Ionic Spark, Manamune, Aegis of the Legion, Tiamat, Zeke's Herald, Cloak and Dagger, Guinsoo's Rageblade, Nashor's Tooth, Sword of the Occult.
- I value Trinity Force over the Black Cleaver simply because it's such a cost effective item for the people that can build it. The fact that it gives so much while taking up only one slot helps bruisers a lot.
- The same principles apply as the Offensive Magical.
- Atma's Impaler is Tier 1 for the good amounts of both damage and armor.
- I'd like to rate Executioner's Calling higher as it's a great item laning-phase, however as an end-game item, it's not making efficient use of one of your 6th slots.
- The Black Cleaver is not Tier 1 as for it to be better damage-wise than Last Whisper, you have to be involved in longer battles. (eg. attacking the same person non-stop for more than 2 seconds - I had a guest post on this a while back).
Tier 1 - Frozen Heart, Randuin's Omen, Ninja Tabi, Atma's Impaler, Warmog's Armor.
Tier 2 - Guardian Angel, Thornmail, Aegis of the Legion, Zhonya's Hourglass, Locket of the Iron Solari, Wriggle's Lantern.
Tier 3 - Sunfire Cape, Madred's Bloodrazor, Leviathan.
- Frozen Heart is the highest as the persistent aura affects enemy carries for the duration of the fight whereas Randuin's relies on having to get close to the carry to disrupt them.
- Sunfire Cape while being Tier 3 is a viable choice for split pushers if you are playing someone like Shen who will split push all day.
- Atma's Impaler is Tier 1 for the good amounts of both damage and armor.
God Tier - Vision Ward, Oracle's Elixir, Sight Ward.
Tier 1 - Shurelya's Reverie, Aegis of the Legion, Locket of the Iron Solari, Will of the Ancients.
Tier 2 - Frozen Heart, Randuin's Omen, Zeke's Herald, Frozen Mallet, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Abyssal Scepter.
Tier 3 - Wriggle's Lantern, Zhonya's Hourglass, Hextech Gunblade, Trinity Force, Executioner's Calling, Soul Shroud.
- Map vision is immeasurably good.
- The utility Shurelya's gives through being able to escape or initiate at super-speed is amazing. The build path of it and other stats are also extremely good for supports.
- The slow from Frozen Mallet and Rylai's help a team win fights.
- The items in tier 3 are there for their actives which help a team.
So now that we've gone through each tier list - you should have an understanding of what each category is intended to do.
You might be thinking I have missed out some items - such as Eleisa's Miracle - I didn't want to rate them just at the moment to reduce complexity of this list. I will be working on slowly including those items in this list in the future.
This list is for the current. Expect it to shift quite a bit once the Varus patch is released.
As for explanations of each individual item - this post would be about 10 pages longer if I had to explain each item's placement. The quick notes under each section should give you a fair indication of my thought process when making the list. If you have any questions regarding the placement, please post below and I will endeavour to answer your questions as quickly as possible. I am quite busy over the next day or so however, so I might not be able to respond to every comment.
As a final word, I'm planning for this list to be re-iterated every patch cycle and will work on making it the best possible tier list it can be.
I really appreciate the support you guys have given me in the past and I hope that you will continue to do so with this project :)
If you enjoy reading the article - I'd really appreciate you clicking the up arrow - thank you in advance!