A lot of changes with AP items in the last few patch cycles. Tier list has been updated to reflect these changes :o
The Structure of the List
Similar to champions - items serve different purposes albeit on a much more varied scale.
So in accordance with this - I've decided to split the list up into five categories.
They will be:
Offensive Magical - This is for dealing increased magical damage or helping your team deal increased magic damage. It is not rated purely on damage and other effects of the item will be considered.
Defensive Magical - This is for negating magical damage or helping your team negate magic damage. It is not rated purely on the durability it gives you and other effects of the item will be considered.
Offensive Physical - This is for dealing increased physical damage or helping your team deal increased physical damage. It is not rated purely on damage and other effects of the item will be considered.
Defensive Physical - This is for negating physical damage or helping your team negate physical damage. It is not rated purely on the durability it gives you and other effects of the item will be considered.
Utility and Support - This is for items that help your team and generally contain items that do not excel in any one category but help you do things that items in the above tiers don't.
You'll understand the categories better once you've seen the list itself.
So on with the list.
The Item Tier List
Tier 1 - Rabadon's Deathcap, Void Staff, Deathfire Grasp, Zhonya's Hourglass, Abyssal Scepter, Lich Bane, Rod of Ages, Rylai's Crystal Scepter.
Tier 2 - Athene's Unholy Grail, Will of the Ancients, Haunting Guise, Morello's Evil Tome, Archangel's Staff, Hextech Gunblade.
Tier 3 - Guinsoo's Rageblade, Malady, Wit's End, Moonflair Spellblade, Nashor's Tooth, Mejai's Soulstealer, Ionic Spark, Trinity Force.
- The Evil Tome has become a much better item to build due to its active. It provides a great tool to trade by helping partially counter champions like Swain and Vladimir. A mini-ignite on a 20 second cooldown is extremely useful in certain situations. It's been moved up to reflect this.
- The Will of the Ancients nerf has made it weak enough that in my opinion, it provides a period of weakness while in the process of building it. It's become slightly less common for champions who don't rely on spell vamp. Eg. Brand and as a result has swapped places with Rylai's.
- Athene's Unholy Grail is an interesting item. It combines a lot of stats that certain champions make extremely great use of. Eg. Galio/Swain and packages into one item. It provides great use through a teamfight and good damage output to boot. It's been placed high in tier 2 for this reason.
- I had Lich Bane a bit too high for the stats/cost efficiency/damage it gave so I've moved it down.
Tier 1 - Mercury's Treads, Warmog's Armor, Banshee's Veil, Force of Nature, Guardian Angel, Quicksilver Sash.
Tier 2 - Maw of Malmortius, Abyssal Scepter, Wit's End, Aegis of the Legion, Spirit Visage, Chalice of Harmony.
Tier 3 - Lich Bane, Leviathan.
Tier 1 - Infinity Edge, Phantom Dancer, Last Whisper, The Bloodthirster, The Black Cleaver, Maw of Malmortius, Atma's Impaler.
Tier 2 - Trinity Force, Wriggle's Lantern, Frozen Mallet, Youmuu's Ghostblade, Madred's Bloodrazor.
Tier 3 - Hextech Gunblade, Executioner's Calling, Ionic Spark, Manamune, Aegis of the Legion, Tiamat, Zeke's Herald, Cloak and Dagger, Guinsoo's Rageblade, Nashor's Tooth, Sword of the Occult.
- Moved up the Black Cleaver to better reflect its amazing damage output. However it is not as great when you have to switch targets. See here for the math.
Tier 1 - Frozen Heart, Randuin's Omen, Ninja Tabi, Atma's Impaler, Warmog's Armor.
Tier 2 - Guardian Angel, Thornmail, Aegis of the Legion, Zhonya's Hourglass, Locket of the Iron Solari, Wriggle's Lantern.
Tier 3 - Sunfire Cape, Madred's Bloodrazor, Leviathan.
God Tier - Vision Ward, Oracle's Elixir, Sight Ward.
Tier 1 - Shurelya's Reverie, Aegis of the Legion, Locket of the Iron Solari, Will of the Ancients.
Tier 2 - Frozen Heart, Randuin's Omen, Zeke's Herald, Frozen Mallet, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, Abyssal Scepter.
Tier 3 - Wriggle's Lantern, Zhonya's Hourglass, Hextech Gunblade, Trinity Force, Executioner's Calling, Soul Shroud.
A wide array of changes within the offensive magical category here to reflect the changes Riot has made in this category - they've brought up a lot of interesting options for build paths. The potential for counter-playing with items is higher though not as high as it should be. I believe they can further improve the itemisation paths in this game to bring a new level of play. Counter-playing in this game happens all too often only on a champion basis and should be allowed to happen on items as well. Here's hoping that Riot sates our thirsts!
For an interesting look at winrates and popularities of items built, this link provides some good info!